Sunday 10 October 2010

supplies and ghost dancing - Cj

Saturday was a more productive day, with supplies of cutting mat, paper, pens for myself and supplies for workshops with children all purchased in a well stocked, cheaply priced art shop across town.  Steve also managed to order his print proofs for his flag project.

tea lady

Lokesh found this bag for me - connecting directly to my 'chai' project.  The imagery has a beautiful quality, printed simply in black on brown paper it is the beginnings of something I am thinking - silhouettes and imagery of tea drinkers?
Waiting for Steve and Lokesh outside a tool shop, I met a rubber stamp maker, which has set my mind off on another tangent.  Paper cuts and stamps, woodblock prints and tea cups - how do these things join, meet, intertwine?  I'm painfully aware of time here, and it's running away from me every minute - how do I create something of value in an environment which is so rich already?

printing

Lokesh also arranged for us to meet Mayur Lekhadia to see if he could fire the tea cups I want to decorate with the community in the Pol.  He introduced us to his chosen method of transferring imagery onto ceramics - sublimation printing - which involved using a 'hacked' printer to print with ceramic inks, and then a compact heating unit which was shaped to fit a standard mug, simply taping the image to the cup and heating to 200 degrees sealed the image in (seemingly permanently).  A fast process and high quality finish on the piece, but immediate application to my own work is limited due to the shape and scale of the compact heating unit.  Great potential for investigation though!
At this point I should really explain a few things - Lokesh is helping and supporting our (Amanda, Steve and I) separate and collaborative projects within the overall 'the pol project'.  We are writing a blog for the project, and you can read all of our posts on there, some of mine may be repeated from here, some may be duplicated, all are in development!!

mali genest

We rushed off to meet Marie Alamir and Mali Genest for dinner at mirch masala - the best food I've had in Ahmedabad!!  Great choices by Lokesh, and we also got to see a catalogue of the beautiful work of Mali...

ellis bridge

On the rickshaw ride back we stopped on Ellis Bridge and I felt so strange standing in the middle of a bridge, with cars, trucks, rickshaws, bikes flying past on both sides.  Amazing...

ghost dancing

Back in the Pol, Amanda joined in with the street dancing, and thus ensued a series of 'ghost dancing' images - enjoy more on flickr...

No comments:

Post a Comment