Monday 11 October 2010

Flowering structures - Steve

I forgot to mention yesterday the purpose of my visit to the flower market, which was to look at the use and context of flowers in Indian culture and daily life, and to source materials (as well as taking in the overwhelming odours, colours and the general spectacle of the place). My intention is to make some work here using the same hand-made ceramic flowers I used in my sculpture Monopoly (shown at the British Ceramic Biennial in 2009) and have had 10,000 white flowers shipped out to india for use in the Pol project. I'm hoping to make a more linear, elegant piece here, and I've been making some tests using the flowers attached to a wire armature, with mixed results. Having tried various materials to attach the flowers to the wire structure (various wires, strings and threads) it seems that sticky white florists tape is the best thing, both visually and technically. The structures are surprisingly strong when the flowers are packed tightly together.


Trial maquette using florists tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment