Saturday 23 October 2010

Long films and short films (Amanda)

I've been editing away for the last few days and am close to finishing the short version of the film - 15 minutes - in time for the screening tomorrow and for showing at Arts Reverie and the British Council during the AIAF. See an even shorter version here edited down to about 3 minutes for the press conference.



Palak Chitaliya has been sitting with me for sone of this time, translating where necessary and making really helpful suggestions. The film has a short voice over about the importance of thresholds and a song sung by Palak to go with the garba dancing in the film. The v-o is spoken in Gujarati by her. Actually, we spent a long evening a couple of nights ago with me trying to record the voice over myself, one sentence at a time, with Palak's patient coaching. She SO wanted me to be able to do it - but I stumbled over each word and eventually had to admit defeat - for now at least (last night on the otla (steps) I had an impromtu language lesson from several children and can now say 'sun', 'circle', 'broom' - and a few other things besides).

Palak also went to see Mayurbhai yesterday to check things were ok for the screening which will be outside his mechanics shop. She came back with a request - please if at all possible, people would like to see the entire footage from the day. So, I will show the short film first and then let the long version - two and a half hours - just roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment